Monday, July 22, 2013

Just Like His Daddy...

So, we've made it to 31.3 weeks already! Hooray for taking it day by day and by baby steps.... literally!  We have gotten to start out our last 2 mornings with a visit from Dr. Eckel and the comforting words of, "You're baby is looking GREAT!" He stops by everyday to check in with us and touch base, which is to say the least, the most comforting part of the day! I can't tell you how much I love this Doctor!!!!  He sits right next to me on the bed and reassures me that everything will be just fine.   He is so patient, answers every single question we have and doesn't ever seem in a rush to get out of here.  In fact he spent about 30-40 minutes yesterday morning watching the British Open with Jes (even after spending 2 nights in a row at the hospital delivering babies)... HOW AWESOME is that? He told us that one of his patient's husbands was playing in it! Which of course got us curious and had us asking who? Well, Duh!!! HIPPA anyone? Poor guy was so awkward and couldn't respond, but did a great job avoiding it, hehe.  To say the least, I am so comforted in knowing that he is with us every step of the way until Oliver gets here!

 A couple new updates:

* I asked Dr. Eckel if Oliver's lungs were mature depending on the Vag. Pool test at the end of the week, would we deliver him or keep him in the cooker until 34 weeks if I remain infection free? He said that he will consult with a Perinatologist at that point because usually if they are comfortable knowing the lungs are mature, the risk of keeping him in there and getting an infection are much more worrisome than the benefits of staying in.  So, basically, it will all depend on the test results and then both doctor's say so.  If I'm not in labor, they would induce and there could be a chance we could meet Oliver in a week or so... We shall see!

* Today I had my ultrasound and they did an 8 point test.  Here is the breakdown on the points:

- 2 points for tone (muscle): They had to see him basically flex his arm forward to shown muscle tone
- 2 points for movement: They had to see him move his body :)
- 2 points for practicing breathing: They had to see his chest rise and fall and practice breathing for 30 seconds
- 2 points for amniotic fluid level: They had to see evidence that there is a good amount of fluid

I am a proud Momma and happy to report that our little guy passed with flying colors! They allow 30 minutes for the ultrasound in order to see everything but we were done in like 5 or 10!!!! I have to laugh because the first test he passed was muscle tone! Of course he was flexing his muscles, the kids' already had steroid shots!!!!!! And then everything else was seen/observed quickly after that.  Last Monday my amniotic fluid was measuring 8.9 cm and today it was 7.5 cm.  So, I was so happy to hear that there is still a normal amount of fluid level considering the fact that I have been leaking for a week.  The ridiculous amount of water intake that has been going on has been paying off I guess! I never realized that amniotic fluid is still being produced by his kidneys at this point and baby drinks what is in the sac and pees it out, and that process repeats over and over! Crazy, right? So, today was a happy and productive day, one to give so much praise to our AMAZING GOD for! This kid is determined, strong, and fearless just like his wonderful Daddy!

I have learned so much through this journey already and am so at peace right now that things are happening just the way that God planned them for our sweet boy.  It's amazing how many silly things worried me while being pregnant, and how our new reality has truly strengthened my mind, body and soul.  The saying, "Put your big girl panties on and deal with it" sure is a new motto of mine! I've put all those crazy little things on my "to do list" aside and realized how precious this little baby boy's life God has given us really is... I am so guilty of taking a healthy pregnancy for granted and wow has this experience matured me!

I came across this quote today and thought it was so appropriate for us right now:

"Our greatest and deepest wisdom is not given to us.  It is discovered as we experience the journey that is ours and ours alone to take." - Tami C. Gaines

Thank you to everyone who is praying, sending warm thoughts and wishes our way, and shows so much love for Baby Oliver! Whatever you all are doing, it's working and we are so grateful! XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment