Thursday, July 18, 2013

Update on Sweet Baby Oliver

Hi Family and Friends,

For all of you who don't know what is going on, here is the breakdown! You know me, and I'm QUEEN of long posts, but I figured the more details on this one the better!  So, over the past week or so, I've been feeling a little pressure underneath my belly, but from what my Doc described, I would start to feel tightness there from the Braxton Hicks contractions, so of course I figured it was all good and I just went about my business! It was never bad pain, just almost feeling like he was really low and dropped or something! Anyways..

On Monday afternoon, we went to the pool after Jes got off work, laid out for awhile and then swam a few laps..  Felt great to swim and I was a happy camper! We left the pool and headed to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for dinner (hahahha little did we know)! It was weird because I had my bathing suit on still and felt like I was peeing a little. I figured I might just have a full bladder or something or the weight of little Oliver was putting more pressure on my bladder.   It was all good until I was looking for some mozzarella cheese (yes, I find the details necessary, hah) and Jes was over getting some ground beef.  I felt some "pee" come out and felt the need to hold my legs together and almost do Kegals because I couldn't hold it! So I thought it was strange and something (God) told me that wasn't quite right so I meandered on over to Jes and told him, "I think we have to go or I have to pee, or something.." So, he checked out, I peed in the restroom and all seemed and looked normal again.  The weird thing was I didn't pee a full bladder's worth, so that should have kinda told me something about feeling the need to pee so bad but not going too much! 

Jes was on me about calling my Doc, so I did and luckily he was the Doc on call out of the 5 he works with.   So, he told me it didn't seem like it was my "bag of water" but that it was strange that I didn't pee a whole lot.  He told me to head on over to the hospital just in case so they can check it out and monitor me just to make sure I wasn't contracting, or my water broke, etc.  I hung up and kinda got my first nerves that he even wanted me to go to the hospital!!  I even told Jes, "Should I take a shower just in case? What about packing a bag? A million things went through my head but I convinced myself I'd probably be sent back no doubt and to get over it, stop worrying!

Got to Shea Hospital, checked in and went back to Triage where I had a fabulous Nurse who took all my vitals, and then ran a swab test for amniotic fluid.  She came back pretty quickly and said, "Yup, your ruptured, so looks like you get to stay here with us!" OMG, what? Seriously guys, I thought she would say something like, "No, maybe it was just your bladder," or "go home and come back or something.." NOPE! SO, basically, I am here in the hospital on bed rest till this sweet little boy arrives. Oh what fun! :) 

So, here is where we are at.  I was immediately pumped full of antibiotics and will be for awhile.  Main concern is risk for infection obviously since I am leaking, so they are monitoring me like crazy (temp, baby's heart rate and contractions) and I am considered high risk now.  I'm almost to 31 weeks which is still very early obviously so they gave me 2 steroid shots in my butt to help his little lungs progress quicker. One was given Monday night, the other Tuesday night.  After Wednesday night I was considered "In the window" because at that point those steroids would be in full effect and helping Oliver's lungs.  They wanted me to make it to that window so he could benefit from those steroids.  I am not in active labor (which sounds crazy) but at this point, it's just my fluid (well obviously a very important part) but no consistent contractions that I feel yet.  I have some here and there, feel some tightening and pressure, but it's very random at this point and it's not painful.  My Doc did say today that they are noticing a bit of change in his heart rate when I do contract, so there may be cord compression.  That means that since there isn't as much fluid as normal, the cord can become compressed between his body and the uterus, while contracting.  They monitor this closely and any sign that he is in distress, they will deliver him.  Any sign of infection, they will deliver.  If I go into full blown labor, they will deliver.  My doc said that the cord could move around as he moves, so at this point we aren't worried necessarily, but rather it gives us good info.  Should I go into labor, they will monitor him very closely for drop in heart rate and an emergency c-section could be necessary.  Another way to look at it is, if he is having a little bit of deceleration with these inconsistent contractions, having one right after another might put him in a great deal of distress.  My goal is to keep him in here obviously as long as I can, the longer the better for him, should I remain infection free and he doesn't get too in distress. 

They did an ultrasound on me Monday night and he is head down (Praise the Lord) so in case things start happening, it's more of a possibility to deliver vaginally. At that time he weighed about 3.14 lbs and now is a little over 4 lbs. which is so good to hear! He is in the 64th % and has a strong heartbeat and everything else looks good! I had 8.9 cm of amniotic fluid between him and my uterus which is good considering I am ruptured.  I'll be getting an ultrasound every 4-5 days to check the fluid levels too. The crazy thing is that I still produce amniotic fluid and there is a chance the rupture in the sac could sort of come to a halt, but no matter what, I'll be staying in the hospital to be monitored.  

Obviously, there are so many thoughts running through my head right now because here we are in July and I was due in September! I have always had a funny feeling that he would be early, but come on... Not this early! I could go into labor or have to deliver as early as today, or I could be here for weeks.  I am almost positive that my Doc won't let me go past 34 or so weeks due to the rupture and increased risk of infection.  We have been seen by a Neonatal Doc and Peri Doc to talk about what things would be like should he come tomorrow, etc.  It's a lot to take in and right now my focus is staying positive, hydrated, stress-free and calm.  What will come will come and we will deal with whatever it is at that time. There are some things we'll have to deal with that I didn't necessarily foresee coming, but that's ok! I've come to realize that everything happens for a reason and God has His amazing hands in every situation.  He will take care of our Little Oliver and this is just a part of his grand entrance into the world! I knew from the beginning this little guy would give me some sort of grief! 

You know me, I still had a nice long list of things to do before I was planning on having Mr. Oliver here, but...!!!!! Hah, well, I'm just gonna have to get over that, right? My permanent home will be here for who knows how long- could be a week, could be a couple days, could be a couple weeks they said. As for Oliver, he'll be here for awhile... At least until his lungs are fully capable to breath on their own, he eats well, etc.  But, like I said, that's all too hard to gauge at this point... As long as everything will be ok with Oliver in the end, I will be ok and even though this is a very stressful time, it will all be worth it!  I'm telling you, he's already giving his Momma a run for her money! He's been a little stinker from day 1 (sticking his tongue out in the ultrasound, super active and kicks me  A LOT, etc.) How did I know he would? :) He's a happy little boy in there, but my prayers are just that he stays happy in there for awhile longer! 

I'm going to try my best with Jesse's help to keep you all updated on how things are progressing, so check back in from time to time :) We are asking for your prayers to keep our little boy happy and healthy in there for as long as we can! We appreciate all your love, support and sweet words and know that our wonderful God is so good and faithful! 

Our love to everyone!

At least being on bed rest means you get waited on! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment