Friday, January 10, 2014

Our First Thanksgiving as a Family

This year for Thanksgiving it was really quite simple, quiet and perfect.  We usually end up spending Thanksgiving with one of our families but this year we decided to park it right here in Scottsdale, AZ and keep our babe off any germ infested airplanes… It was just us, the three of us. It was also my first year to cook up the biggest meal of our lives! I must admit, I was a tad bit nervous because I have high expectations for a good Thanksgiving lunch/dinner.  My Mom and Dad ROCKED it every single year and my mouth seriously starts to salivate when I think about how good it is.  It's probably hands down, my favorite meal EVER. Did you hear that? EVER!!! So, to think that I was in charge of making it taste as good as I always remembered…???? Eek.. Big shoes to fill for sure!

I started with a SERIOUS discussion with my Mom about her recipes, techniques and secrets.. I took notes people. Like, in a notepad and have since copied it onto a pretty little recipe card to remind myself for next year.  Yes, crazy- I told you! I started on Wednesday and made the stuffing, cranberries, pumpkin cobbler and pecan pie.  I AM SO GLAD I DID! I couldn't have imagined doing every single thing by myself on Thanksgiving day! Throw in a baby and trying to manage him and cook made it even more scary.  Thank goodness Jesse is Dad of the Year and is such a great helper! In my mind it was, "What will I burn? Or what will be an ultimate fail?"

On Thanksgiving,  I cooked all day and was in Heaven! I love being in the kitchen and am proud to admit it! We decided on a turkey breast from Costco instead of a huge turkey for just the 2 of us! People.. Listen up here… If you EVER need a small Thanksgiving turkey- go to Costco and get the breast! Holy smokes- it was delicious and juicy.  Jesse's job was the turkey.  He created a rub for it that was so delicious and had a taste of New Mexico to it! I found for the first time that juggling things in and out of the oven is both intimidating, hilarious and fun! Jesse at one point got so mad because I was adding things into the oven to cook or heat and he thought it would mess up his turkey! Geez man! Don't be an oven hog if ya' wanna eat!

This Thanksgiving was full of thanks for sure! A grateful heart for a healthy and happy boy, a love so deep for his Daddy, such wonderful families, a cozy home and good food to eat.  I am happy to report that this years' lunch/dinner was a success and everything came out just as I remembered it!

Here is our Thanksgiving through pictures! 


I think this was before he slept pretty much all day.
I blame it on the delicious aromas throughout the house! 

Not so much a fan of the hat. 


so serious.



The master turkey maker.

Oliver's spot at the table



I want to eat you all right now.

Gobble till ya Wobble





His favorite toy, winkle


Happy Thanksgiving… in January! 

No comments:

Post a Comment